Benefits to mothers & infants
Beyond the joy of spending quality time bonding with a new baby, infant massage has been shown to provide many benefits to the baby, the parents, and to the rest of the family.
Babies who receive massage can experience:
- Better performance on neurological assessment scales
- Better sleep/wake behaviors
- Greater soothability
- Improved growth and development
- Improved body awareness
- Improved relaxation and release of accumulated stress
- Strengthened digestive, circulatory and gastrointestinal systems, which can lead to weight gain
- Reduced discomfort from teething, congestion, gas, colic and emotional stress
- Improved muscle tone coordination
- Increased elimination, circulation and respiration
- Reduced blood pressure
- Improved overall health
Families who share in infant massage can experience:
- Stronger bonding and attachment between parent and baby
- Enhanced sense of love, respect and trust among family members
- Improved ability of the parents to read infant cues
- Increased communication between baby and parent
- Strengthened parenting skills
- Stronger family foundation through understanding, positive communication and touch
Lisa is a Baby’s First Massage® trained Infant Massage Instructor. Classes are offered monthly at east and west locations. Lisa also offers private in-home classes.
Classes are designed for infants 0-12 months that are medically stable (32 weeks’ gestation, weigh at least 3lbs, feeding orally). New parents, expectant parents, adoptive parents and surrogate parents are encouraged to attend. Demonstration dolls are available to practice the techniques in class if you are expecting or your newborn does not want to participate.
Private and group classes available
All classes include a take home booklet for you to refer back to while doing massage at home. Only one class is needed to teach you the techniques you will need to give this wonderful massage at home.
*Information is taken from the Baby’s First Massage® website with permission
“We had a great time in Lisa’s class. It helped us learn how to touch our new baby and he loved it. Now I give him naked time every morning and rub him down with oil. He loves it and lays naked kicking his feet until he gets hungry, then goes right to sleep. I think it helps him take longer, more comfortable naps and helps with digestion. Plus it is a nice time to bond with him. The massage techniques in Lisa’s class really helped us to know how to touch and massage him and motivated me to do it regularly. She is very knowledgeable and a great teacher.” – Lauren T.