Overnight Care: Postpartum Doulas & Newborn Care Specialists
Need overnight infant care? Allow us to help you get some rest!
Postpartum doula & newborn care specialist overnight care is focused on more than just the newborn. Many of our families breastfeed and/or pump throughout the night. Let our overnight doulas & newborn care specialists assist you to minimize your awake time. We can also offer tips and tricks to help you makes things go more smoothly during the nights in which our postpartum doulas & newborn care specialists are not with you.
Our overnight postpartum doulas & newborn care specialists recognize that every family has different and changing needs based on the day and family dynamic. Each day or night of service is tailor made to meet the needs of YOUR family.
What Does Postpartum Doula & Newborn Care Specialist Overnight Care Provide?
- Complete nighttime care for infant(s) while parents get some much-needed rest!
- A trained and experienced postpartum doula/newborn care specialist that will establish healthy sleep habits with your newborn
- Bottle feeding, diaper changes, bathing, soothing and extra cuddles
- Providing a wealth of information and care regarding postpartum-specific issues and challenges the birth mother may face.
- If mom is pumping, the doula/newborn care specialist can assist, making sure the milk is properly stored and the pump is washed and ready for use the next session
- Access to the doula/newborn care specialist via phone/text/email to answer infant care or postpartum care questions during the contract
- Postpartum doulas & new born care specialists are also a wealth of resources about issues pertaining to the postpartum time & the infant and can provide referrals for many issues
- Unlike a night nanny, newborn care specialists & overnight postpartum doulas are able to design routines, provide evidence based information and teach the parents many tips and tricks to help everyone sleep better
- Many of our families breastfeed and/or pump throughout the night. Let our night care doulas & newborn care specialists assist you to minimize your awake time. We can also offer tips and tricks with pumping to help you makes things go more smoothly during the nights in which our postpartum doulas are not with you.
- Our overnight doulas are also newborn care specialists, so you can be assured you’re getting the BEST care!
So, what makes a postpartum doula/newborn care specialist providing overnight care any different than a baby nurse or night nanny?
There are a few areas where overnight postpartum doulas & newborn care specialists differ. A postpartum doula is still a trained individual who specializes in newborn care and development, as well as all things newborn related, but in addition, are trained on postpartum care for mother and family. They are able to perform all things necessary to take excellent care of your precious newborn baby day or night, just as the baby nurse/ night nanny of old. While most of our overnight doulas are also newborn care specialists, our focus does not end with newborn care, but includes postpartum mother, family care and education as well!
Who uses a postpartum overnight doula & newborn care specialist?
Postpartum doula & newborn care specialist overnight care is used for any different reasons and for many different families:
- Families with multiples that need some night time support to be able to get some rest. Having multiples is challenging and finding time to rest in the day or night is hard.
- Families that do not have local family support- many of our clients are from out of town or the country or don’t have family they can count on.
- Mothers that have has a cesarean birth- the first few weeks after delivery can be rough as mom recovers from pregnancy & surgery. Lifting baby up and down as well as stairs can be physically exhausting.
- Parents that need to get back to work quickly and need to get some solid sleep time at night.
- Parents that just have a high sleep need. Some of us just need more sleep than others and getting a long stretch at night is just what you need to be functional.
- Families that are prone to depression and anxiety. It’s a well known fact that lack of sleep exacerbates both conditions.
- Those needing and wanting breastfeeding / pumping support. When you are tired and trying to establish breastfeeding, it’s nice to have a free set of hands, as well as our support to help on your breastfeeding/pumping journey.
- Families with other children. Let’s face it, often times, the older children are ready to go bright and early, and parents do not have time throughout the day to catch up on sleep.
A postpartum doula & newborn care specialist providing overnight care will not only take wonderful care of your newborn, but also the mother/parent throughout the night. Baby nurses / night nurses are great as well, but do not offer the additional postpartum mother or breastfeeding/ pumping support some desire.
If your infant is 4 months or older and having trouble sleeping for naps or at night, please check out our sleep training page.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Our night time postpartum doulas work in 9 hour shifts. Since every family has different needs, we have found discussing each family’s individual needs allows us to customize a package. We do offer a price break at 300 hours or more hours purchased.
Please contact us to discuss a package that is right for you!